Yes, you can. But you need to spend time on the following:
- Familiarize with leading search engines and directories.
- Know your web site key phrases, and redesign if required.
- Take care that the website doesn't get banned, for something that you think is not your fault. (For example, linking between sites excessively with a goal of artificially boosting the link’s popularity may get your website banned).
- You have time and resources at your hand.
- Website promotion schedules are not critical, in the sense that you can afford to experiment and learn.